VtWForum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: GamesWorkshop Files Suit Against Curse over Warhammer Alliance  (Read 2734 times)

Thursday

• Novice

http://www.warhammeralliance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=326733

Not sure if this fits in Tabletop gaming or Video Gaming to be honest, but I'll leave this here.

Vaulisel

• Baron
  • Fashionista
Re: GamesWorkshop Files Suit Against Curse over Warhammer Alliance
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 08:26:14 PM »

This seems really strange to me. It's been a long time since Warhammer Alliance went live, so to suddenly sue over the usual recognizable trademark, substantial goodwill of product, capitalizing on recognition schtick now seems ridiculous. I can only think GW must have some line drawn in the sand that someone has stepped over. But I wouldn't have thought fan site levels of advert revenue etc would be over that line.

Feriluce

• Baron
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 09:23:29 PM »

This seems really strange to me. It's been a long time since Warhammer Alliance went live, so to suddenly sue over the usual recognizable trademark, substantial goodwill of product, capitalizing on recognition schtick now seems ridiculous. I can only think GW must have some line drawn in the sand that someone has stepped over. But I wouldn't have thought fan site levels of advert revenue etc would be over that line.

If you read a few posts down you will see that GW actually endorsed the site back in 2006, with the licensing manager giving interviews to it. Kinda odd.

Thursday

• Novice
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 01:55:08 AM »

If you read a few posts down you will see that GW actually endorsed the site back in 2006, with the licensing manager giving interviews to it. Kinda odd.

Yep, I saw that too. I don't have any experience in dealing with GW, but a lot of the posts point towards them being ill-forgiving when it comes to use of their IP.

I would be too if what I read about the original Warcraft was true. :P

Vaulisel

• Baron
  • Fashionista
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 03:20:49 AM »

Yep, I saw that too. I don't have any experience in dealing with GW, but a lot of the posts point towards them being ill-forgiving when it comes to use of their IP.

The way I've heard the story told that rang the most genuine is the Warhammer/Warcraft thing slid under the radar due to a simple lack of sharp definition on the IP back then, and GW didn't have a huge reservoir of experience with enforcing trademarks and IP.

Feriluce

• Baron
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 04:55:40 AM »

The way I've heard the story told that rang the most genuine is the Warhammer/Warcraft thing slid under the radar due to a simple lack of sharp definition on the IP back then, and GW didn't have a huge reservoir of experience with enforcing trademarks and IP.

But now they've seen the light and will strike down anyone who dare like their game with a fury?

Vaulisel

• Baron
  • Fashionista
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2010, 05:32:55 AM »

But now they've seen the light and will strike down anyone who dare like their game with a fury?
Something along those lines. After all, over the past decade it feels like they are trying to forge themselves into a tabletop Activision. I actively played 40k for about four or five years, but quit when I came to realise they had increased prices on plastics by up to 50% in some cases with no real reason given except that the market can bear it.

Maybe Bobby could consider expanding into miniature wargames?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 05:34:57 AM by Vaulisel »

Thistledown

• Baron
  • oh dear
    • i do stuff
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2010, 10:06:04 AM »

Wait, Games Workshop is a dick to its customers? Who could imagine? This is no surprise, and comes at the end of a long line of dickish moves. Color me unimpressed.

Also, holy nested quote Batman! You only need to quote the direct text you are replying to, and it could be argued to only quote it if it isn't the post directly above yours.

Feriluce

• Baron
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2010, 10:19:23 AM »

Wait, Games Workshop is a dick to its customers? Who could imagine? This is no surprise, and comes at the end of a long line of dickish moves. Color me unimpressed.

Also, holy nested quote Batman! You only need to quote the direct text you are replying to, and it could be argued to only quote it if it isn't the post directly above yours.

First off. What color would "unimpressed" be exactly? I'd like to know so I can get the right spaypaint.

You also realize that only quoting the last person requires work right?

Thistledown

• Baron
  • oh dear
    • i do stuff
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2010, 04:27:28 PM »

Well you don't need to quote. It's directly about 100 pixels above where your eyes are. ;D

I would be willing to bet that Games Workshop sent out this tripe as a publicity stunt. And hey, its working. It isn't like they haven't pulled this equally stupid crap in the past. I am unimpressed at GW's move. If they wanted to publicity stunt, they could have done much better. If they truely wanted to pull down Warhammer Alliance, they are more civil ways. Assuming Warhammer Alliance is telling the truth (and it appears to be so by everything I found), GW is just being GW. Nothing to fret over. I mean, nothing to fret over unless you hold Warhammer Alliance and/or Curse in high regard, but that is more of a personal affront.

e: typo
Pages: [1] 2