VtWForum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Geek I/O Episode 9: "Jon reaches his climax."  (Read 922 times)

JonFromSeattle

• Friar
  • Geek I/O Head Producer
    • Geek I/O
Geek I/O Episode 9: "Jon reaches his climax."
« on: March 07, 2013, 12:39:00 AM »

?Geek I/O! Episode 9: w/ guest host: Lou Gagliardi - Jon Reaches His Climax?

Welcome to Geek IO episode 9, recorded March, 6 2013! I?m Jared Budlong, I?m Jarred Azevedo, and I?m Jonathan Slater.  Joining us this week is: our Brony brethren like no other, the MLP MVP of Geek I/O -  Lou (?GAH-LAR-DEE?) Gagliardi!

Geek out with the guest about his stuff going on.

G3: Jarred A
(Gadgets, Games & Gizmos or whatever we have been playing with this week)
Jarred A: Being Too Social

Slater: Sleeping Dogs (Xb360), Halo Reach (Xb360), Cantercast going strong, bought a 320gb external Xb360 hard drive and transfer cable via tiny.cc/geekioamazon  I saw something I guess I shouldn?t have today?

Jared B: Stuff

Lou: Just bought Champions of Norrath on ebay, getting my show going again, still trying to find a D&D group, starting the Song of Ice and Fire series. ?You know nothing Jon Snow!?

News!:
Jared B: Destiny Details
?... Destiny is also the sort of game you couldn't mistake for any other studio. There's just something about that combination of exotic sci-fi landscapes, Marty O'Donnell's sweeping orchestral score, and a social-first approach to first-person shooter action that immediately screams Bungie.? -  Shaun McInnis (Game Spot)
http://www.gamespot.com/features/destiny-unveiled-what-bungies-next-game-is-and-isnt-all-about-6404016/

Slater: 
Printing now takes on the 4th dimension

(SCIENCE!) An Alternate Universe Will Eventually Destroy Ours
*extra news via The Whoniverse Podcast with Michael Gaines

Jarred A:
Seniors who play video games less likely to be depressed
http://news.cnet.com/8301-11386_3-57572600-76/seniors-who-play-video-games-less-likely-to-be-depressed/

(SCIENCE!) Scientist link rats to real-world ?Matrix? via the internet
http://news.cnet.com/8301-11386_3-57572145-76/scientists-link-rats-to-real-world-matrix-via-the-internet/

Lou:
Facebook will reportedly launch content-specific news feeds
EU fines Microsoft $730 million for failing to include browser ballot in Windows 7 SP1
Doctor Who 50th will start shooting in March!

*Intermission Time* (approx 10 mins)

Welcome Back:
?The Great Dale Campbell?(Audio Clip) from the tadpool and Chefwonder Podcasts, who is unfortunately unable to join live for the for seeable future do to his schooling, but makes time in his busy schedule to watch these movies and send us his audio review (and written review on our website). Thank you DALE!

RANT & REVIEW: Jon Slater
Title: The One
Movie can be seen: Netflix Streaming / YouTube Movies ($3.99)
Movie Synopsis: A sheriff's deputy fights an alternate universe version of himself who grows stronger with each alternate self he kills.
Release Date: 2001
Main Actors/Actresses:
Jet Li - Lawless, Gabe Law, Gabriel Yulaw, and the many faces of Law.
Carla Gugino - T.K. Law, Massie Walsh
Delroy Lindo - MVA Agent Harry Roedecker, Gas Station Attendant
Jason Statham - MVA Agent Evan Funsch
James Morrison - LAPD Officer Bobby Aldrich, ?A? world inmate #1
Dylan Bruno - Yates
Richard Steinmetz - D?Antoni
Steve Rankin - MVA Supervisor
Tucker Smallwood - Prison Warden
Harriet Sansom Harris - Nurse Besson
Dean Norris - Sgt. Siegel
Ron Zimmerman - Rotten Ronnie
Mark Borchardt - Cesar
Trivia: When Dwayne Johnson ('The Rock') was attached to star, this film was known as The Rock Movie. When he left to work on The Mummy Returns, it was listed for a short while as Untitled Sci-Fi Project, and when Jet Li came aboard, it became The One.

The 'University Medical Center' where Gabe goes for the MRI is the North Hollywood Medical Center where the popular sitcom Scrubs is filmed.

Each of the universes that are listed along with Yulaw's charges is named after a star or constellation (in keeping with the idea that a new universe is formed when a star collapses): Monoceros, Tucana, Canopus, Serpens, and Shaula. The one exception is Lawless's universe. His, along with the other universes that are actually shown in the film, are all named after mythological gods (a possible allusion to Yulaw's hope to become a god himself, by absorbing the energy of his other selves). Lawless is from Anubis universe, after the Egyptian god of mummification and the afterlife. Gabe is from Charis universe, after the Greek goddesses of charm and beauty. The penal colony is in Hades universe, after the Greek god of the Underworld. The colony itself is called Stygian Penal Colony: the word Stygian refers to the River Styx, which was located in the Greek Underworld. The location of the Multiverse Agency is called, simply, "Multiverse."

Well Known Quotes: Roedecker: On the floor, right now!
Yulaw: The floor? This is a hospital. The floor is full of germs. Want me to get sick?

Yulaw: I am Yulaw, I am no bodies bitch! You, are mine!

Funsch: In this, you exist. In another you don't exist. In another, you're married to the same woman. In another, you're married to a different woman. In another, you're married to a man.
Gabe: Hey!
Funsch: There is a string of energy divided among every one of us. We all have it.

IMDB Reviews: Jon Monsarrat review: action movie fans, rally!, 1 April 2002
Author: jonmon from United States
Hey! Why'd this film get such a low rating?

I hope it's not due to the drama / arty types. I swear they walk into an Arnold Schwartzenegger film and start critiquing the dialogue or the deep cinematic reflections on life. I think they may have formed a false expectation. Action movies don't aim for that stuff, so it's a little unfair to then expect it.

Mostly stuff blows up in "The One", and I'm totally OK with that, being an action movie buff. What's weird is that you know they're using lots of wires and some of the stunts are a little overdone. But forget the fictional character's skill -- just the skill you'd need as a stuntman or stuntwoman making this movie to perform some of these stunts is truly impressive!

Let me warn you that the plot is a pretty stupid, and while billed as a science fiction film it really is not. However, it's nowhere near as bad as sub-intelligent flicks "Independence Day" and "Mission Impossible". It was more like "Mission Impossible 2". And lots and lots of stuff blows up.

Compared to Jackie Chan, Jet Li's films have more action, but it's stunt-like rather than natural, more of an "edge" (including blood and gore), less comedy, and he speak better English. I still prefer Jackie. If you're new to martial arts films, ease yourself in with accessible Jackie Chan action/comedies "Shanghai Noon" or "Twin Dragons".

From CJ : I LOOOVED this movie so much, even though it is not a great movie, at least on the acting side, the music is rocking, and the action is awesome! I think this is a great flavor change from video game month, sorry about that folks, but the reviews were funny at least!

How to reach us / Guest(s): 
about.me/jaztech - JARRED A.
about.me/jonfromseattle - SLATER
about.me/jared.budlong - JARED B.
about.me/loug -Lou

Since they aren?t here for a several weeks, you can keep up with CJ here: about.me/dragoskai - CJ
and Rachel here:
about.me/geminii - RACHEL

Next Episode: Jared B.
Guest: Mystery Guest. It?s unknown even to us. Hell it may be Slater.
Guest Bio/Info/Tidbit Here

Next Rant & Review: Memento
You can submit your reccomendations over at geek-io.com using the ?Rant & Review Suggestion Form? on the left!

We want your help.
? Did we miss some big news?
? Do you need some insight into something?
? We want to make YOU happy because, as our listeners, we want to entertain you! 
So send your emails to: feedback@geek-io.com

VTW Productions - Geek I/O: Jarred A
Geek I/O is a proud member of Versus the World Productions at VTWProductions.com along with a ton of other great shows including the BRAND NEW ?Tales of Relevant Thought? by Tom Badguy! We air Fridays at 2PM Eastern.

ARCHIVES:
You can locate the show archives at geek-io.com where you can also drop us a note. Our show notes are always at http://tiny.cc/geekioforum where we invite you to discuss what you liked about the episodes, news topics, feedback on what were playing with, etc.

SUPPORT:
Do you think we could sound or look better? You can give some geek love (i.e. - money) to our great show. How you ask? Go on over to http://tiny.cc/geektipjar to donate some of that much needed geek love to the show. If you donate $5 (or more) to the cause, we will give you a shout out and read *anything* you want us to read at the top of the show! Helps give a plug to you, or if you just want to be silly - and it helps keep the lights on here at the show.

SHOW MUSIC:
Show music is brought to you by I Fight Dragons, Evan Carter, Ben Landis and Andrew Allen!
Please help us support indie artists!

You can purchase Andrew?s ?Smooth Federation? & IFD?s ?Kaboom? on Amazon.com by using our affiliation link http://tiny.cc/geekioamazon.
Ben?s album ?Adventure?s in Pixels? can be bought through http://music.adventuresinpixels.net/ for $7.00 dollars. 

REVIEWS:
We can be heard on iTunes as well as Stitcher Radio,  so please be sure to leave an honest review of the show on either of those two sites.

THANK YOU:
We want to give a huge ?Thank You!? tonight to GUEST. Thank you so very much for taking time out of your busy schedule to chat and hang out with us geeks.

Geek IO is now on Twitter! Follow us and tweet along by using @geekioshow
Be sure to follow our Tech Reviewer, Raul Garza @TechGarza, and our Trannies in the Outback ?MovieWatcherDale? @TheDaleCampbell on ?Twi-Titter?

Extremely Final Words Of Thought: Free-For-All

We?ll catch you next week folks!
Got tech questions, have a funny tech story, mp3 attachments, or questions for our guest? Send your email to Feedback@geek-io.com