VtWForum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Comic Strips  (Read 1481 times)

Shriggs

• Vassal
  • not lazy or procrastinate, just right
Comic Strips
« on: May 04, 2010, 01:19:50 AM »

Haven't seen much talk on comic strips here, it's something I've been dabbling with.

Here's one I made a while ago when FFXIII came out

Valrick

• Baron
  • I have a text box fetish.
Re: Comic Strips
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 01:41:45 AM »

Hah, nice :D

A couple of things to watch out for though, if you don't mind my input.

Positioning people in the middle/middle of the frame is actually a very weak position. I makes them look small and insignificant. While it works here for them stairs at the screen, perhaps try experimenting with a few different ideas as this one has been played a little too much in my opinion.

Also, watch out for the positioning of your text inside the bubbles and the positioning of the bubbles themselves. For example, your first panel has a lot of dead space, yet your speech bubble overlaps the artwork. Why hide your the time and effort you've put into the art! :D Perhaps as well try a different font and even hand letter the panels. Stock font such as this can look amateurish where-as good lettering can really add detail to a piece.

I hope this helps out and I'd love to see more from you.

I must admit, I'd love to draw comics but I simply can't work without character reference. I never actually learnt how to draw (and though I would love to learn, I don't have the time) so I really struggle with perspective and such.

Perhaps one day I will get there!

Shriggs

• Vassal
  • not lazy or procrastinate, just right
Re: Comic Strips
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 02:35:26 AM »

Thank's for the feedback, I'm actually working on another comic that's wow realted, and I'm hoping to submit it to the monthly comic contest soon, its still very much a WIP with only some basic coloring and outlining. For the smooth lines I used a tutorial here http://Ashikai.deviantart.com/art/Second-CG-and-Lineart-Tutorial-16760313, its incredibly useful for people who have trouble cleaning up those pesky outlines, though you generally have to go back and fill in some spots where the coloring is blank, as you can see in this comic. And I've made it so the pictures are very flexible, everything can be moved around, also I do realize Frost is missing his goatee at the end I'll fix that later

Dialogue:
panel 1
Kashya: Fellow officers, every raid night we seem to lack a few core dps and it's hurting our progression too much, we need to find a solution so we can progress through Icecrown!
panel 2
Zoraida: I have a solution!
panel 3
Zoraida: Behold! Reserve Raider in a Box! We keep our reserve raiders in this box so we'll have a full raid no matter what!
panel 4
Frostbound: wait a minute, is there someone in that box right now?
panel 5
Zoraida: Why yes! Shriggs is in the box
Shriggs: Let me out! She didn't make any air holes!!!
panel 6
Kashya: Zoraida that's brilliant!
panel 7
Frostbound: With our reserves in easy to carry boxes we'll never be short of a full raid again!
panel 8
Daellia: That idea could make it in the Cataclysm UI!
panel 9
NEW TO WORLD OF WARCRAFT CATACLYSM! RESERVE RAIDER IN A BOX!
panel 10
Shriggs: Freedo...
Zoraida: Go get em Shriggs!