VtWForum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: GSC - Vent Free?  (Read 1467 times)

Raktus

• Vassal
GSC - Vent Free?
« on: February 14, 2010, 04:04:03 PM »

Anyone else tried it? I been using it as a vent substitute for my STO Fleet. For some reason they prefered it over Vent and being that its absolutely free who was I to complain? Its got all the features of Vent with those other things other gamer communication programs do. The only major differences being that chat is fully intigrated instead of being seperate, and again its free.

Free Voice Communication
  • Create multiple channels and subchannels
  • Pick from any of our 12 datacenters worldwide to host your voice server
  • Full moderation of your voice channel, including the ability to kick/ban users
  • Automatically save channel settings
Friend Tracking and In-Game Chat
  • View status of your friends online, including information on games they are currently playing and what server they are on
  • Text or voice your friends instantly even while playing most games!
  • Easily log conversations for future reference
  • Customize your GSC account with icons, profiles, and more!
Server Browsing and Tracking
  • Find and join servers with our integrated GameTracker browser!
  • Look up current and historical server and player stats
  • Manage your favorite servers to quickly reference them in the future
  • Easily find servers with the fastest ping times (coming soon)

Ebion

• The Cruelest Creature on the Planet
  • Baron
  • Snooze
Re: GSC - Vent Free?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 05:23:11 PM »

there are only a few issues with a free service for Voice Communication that I would have a problem with.

1. Quality of the codec used. I'd rather not use a voice communication service if I can't understand anyone, or if they sound really terrible.

2. Lag. Again, there is no point in using voice communication if by the time your message comes through, you or your team is dead or the conversation is already over and you look like an idiot.

3. Number of slots allotted. Again, there is no point to use a free service if my entire squad/team can't use it all at once. Granted, I personally wouldn't have a problem with this, but others might.

If all three issues are vacant, then I'd gladly endorse GSC. So, please, sell me on this. Because I would love a free alternative to Ventrilo.

Raktus

• Vassal
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 08:45:10 PM »

Haven't noticed any degredation of voice quality or lag... and GSC servers are capped at 200 users.

Taken from their FAQ:
What voice codecs does GSC support?
We currently support Speex and GSM voice codecs. You can select your favorite codec in your voice server management panel.

Where are the 14 datacenters for GSC voice servers located?
Amsterdam, Netherlands - Atlanta, Georgia - Chicago, Illinois - Frankfurt, Germany - Dallas, Texas - Jersey City, New Jersey - London, England - Los Angeles, California - Montreal, Quebec - Newark, New Jersey - San Jose, California - Seattle, Washington - St. Louis, Missouri - Tampa Bay, Florida
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 08:49:39 PM by Raktus »

Sark

• Novice
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 02:42:10 AM »

I joined a clan in AoC that used it.  It's pretty much just as good as an average vent server.  My only problem with it is that is a little tricky to use, and since its relatively unknown you constantly have to tell people how to use it.

It's alright, but I still like vent more.