VtWForum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Siri for Andriod (Skyvi)  (Read 1610 times)

Legol

• Monk
  • Tech Support
Siri for Andriod (Skyvi)
« on: December 16, 2012, 04:33:50 PM »

Hey everybody!

I wanted to just drop a helpful app down for the Android users of our great community.

It's called Skyvi (http://www.skyviapp.com/), a free Andriod app that pretty much does what Siri does, and sometimes seems even a bit quicker.

The one great feature I like about it is that it will read off any incoming text messages to you as they come in, instead of you having to tell it to read it for you, so it's great for me when I'm driving and listening to music through my phone, it will say there is a new message, who it's from, and immediately reads the entire message so I don't have to reach for my phone while driving.

I haven't delved much into the other voice functions, but it's free, and definately a great substitute to Siri for us Android users!

Ken

• Administrator
  • Baron
    • Ken's Website
Re: Siri for Andriod (Skyvi)
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 05:35:09 AM »

+1 commendation, nice find, thanks for posting!

Eid

• I post to much
  • Baron
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 05:45:07 AM »

Jeannie is good too.

Legol

• Monk
  • Tech Support
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 06:11:20 PM »

Not a problem Ken!

I found out about by overhearing a co-worker talk about it, finally found it this week in the Play store and I'm loving it so far.  Still working out some of the features, but I LOVE having my texts read out when they come in, makes it a lot easier on me for driving, and so I notice it when I'm too busy playing on the XBOX

Sekani

• Baron
  • You don't care about any of this
    • sekani2.com
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 11:14:53 PM »

If you have Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean), I find the built-in Google app to be more than sufficient for a Siri-like experience. For one, it has much better voice recognition than the last iPhone I used, and the last Android phone I used.

Eid

• I post to much
  • Baron
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 03:58:06 AM »

If you have Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean), I find the built-in Google app to be more than sufficient for a Siri-like experience. For one, it has much better voice recognition than the last iPhone I used, and the last Android phone I used.

Indeed it can even understand Scottish accents...
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGxKhUuZ0Rc[/youtube]

Only thing is that I don't actually like any of them for things other than gimmicks...